Back to Back Issues Page
HWLH News Letter for March 2019 - Issue #0064 - The Benefits of Seeing Food as Fuel
March 01, 2019
Welcome to HWLH News Letter

March 2019 - Issue # 064 - The Benefits of Seeing Food as Fuel

Welcome Back Everyone

When I was a kid I was constantly told to “eat your veggies”, because you need vegetables to grow up strong and smart.

Even through all those years of being told how important certain foods are, it is hard to think of food as fuel, even though that’s exactly what it is.

Seriously what kid wouldn't prefer a candy bar over an apple? Well perhaps some do, though I didn't fall into that category.

And….things haven’t changed much since then either because I still love sweets and a list of other foods that are not considered very healthy such as fried chicken, pizza, burgers and fries.

But here is the problem, when we don’t look at food as fuel; it’s so easy to just stuff all kinds of food into our mouths without a second thought.

This is because we are eating simply for pleasure and not specifically to fuel our body which is what we really need to be doing.

We all know there are nutritious calories and other calories that offer little to no nutrition.

But it’s not that simple when you love all kinds of comfort foods that are on the no-no list, it seems practically impossible to make the right choice.

Most of us have a pretty good idea that our eating habits could improve simply because the way we feel.

When the body falls short of things that it needs the biggest complaint is feeling tired on a regular basis.

But not only can poor nutrition make us feel sluggish and tired all day, it can bring on a list of medical conditions that is over whelming.

As the percentage of an overweight population has increased drastically due to having a poor diet, sadly so have the many negative medical conditions that come with it.

Here are just some of the negative health impacts we can experience when we maintain a poor diet that lacks proper nutrition.

Being overweight or obesity

Type 2 diabetes

High blood pressure

High cholesterol

Higher risk of heart disease and stroke




And a sluggish liver and immune system will have a hard time to fight off diseases including some cancers

All diets and healthy meal plans always include the same list. The list usually includes fruits, vegetables, grains, cereals, lean meats, fish, eggs, legumes (beans) nuts/seeds, and for some cheese and yogurt.

And the no-no list always includes fried foods, processed foods, sugary foods and fatty foods.

Our bodies need hydration, nutrition and fiber to nourish the cells and keep your health at its best.

So when we eat many foods that are on the bad list, the sugars, starches and oils will give us a jolt of short term energy, but the food has little to no nutrition…. and that is the problem, plain and simple.

Consider this a little nudge or reminder to take some time and choose your meals a little wiser.

If we can eat healthier 80% of the time and let loose the other 20% that would be considered eating a proper diet.

I know - you know - what I mean. MODERATION can be our best friend.

So have a little fun and challenge yourself this week by choosing and creating some healthier meals that you know will be beneficial.

Good Luck

Your Opinion Counts:

If you have an opinion or would like to share a story with us we would love to hear from you.

Use our Contact Us page - or our Weight Loss News page (Your Story Counts).

Wishing you health and happiness
Until next time
Catherine :)

Back to Back Issues Page